Sunday, November 13, 2016

I Won't Hide the Funk


Image result for izzy's got the frizzies gif

I used to press an iron to my hair to disguise what was underneath...
 Or I could even take it back to two years ago, when I didn't even know I had curly hair... Or the closest I ever was to witnessing it, was when the hairs on my neck stuck out of my shower cap, and they curled up due to the humidity after a shower.  Or even after I got out off the pool, the waves would turn up, and the length would crinkle. 
Mother always told me the creamy crack was the way to go... Straight hair was just "easier to manage" as she would say. 
And yanno', I never really understood what she thought about curly hair until I went natural. 
Straight hair was easier to manage; and I will always hands down agree. 
Ever since I cut off my straight hair to let my curls roam free, I'd be standing over the sink in my bathroom for 45 minutes, trying to achieve that bomb twist-out I pinned on Pinterest, and the bantu knots i'd watch on Youtube. 
I'd always had a perm as a child, and for a black women to freely wear a fro was quite uncommon. It even made me feel as if they should tame their hair and conform to the flat iron as my mother had taught. I'll always respect the women with the coils and the ziggles that sprout from their gardens. They had the courage I didn't learn until last December. "Wherever it erupts, this funk" (Morrison 83), i'll let it fly and lay as it pleases. For the funk, makes me, and as I allow it. 
Curly hair has always been portrayed as something that needs to be tamed and handled, and the media doesn't help to make people think otherwise. I won't suppress my curls to the steam of a pressing comb, or the sizzle of a flat iron. 
i'll slick my baby hairs, following that bomb twist-out, and i'll watch the curls bounce in the mirror with a grand smile pasted across my face, as you should be happy with yours. 
Image result for curly hair gif

No comments:

Post a Comment