Monday, December 12, 2016

Just a Grape

As I was doing the reading for A Raisin in the Sun, I've come to terms with the type of character Ruth is so far. 
She's kinda hopeless, a bit of a worrier, and is always prepared for the worst case scenario...
She's almost- Rude, to an extent to where there is nothing to be happy about in the life she lives. All of her decisions, all of her emotions seem to be dictated by the monetary issues in her home. Her husband, Walter, notices as they converse over his breakfast.  

He even makes the wide generalization that it is all colored women that behave this way... Which is a pretty large assumption, seeing that you'd have to know all Black women in order for what he said to be valid. 

Beneatha, she doesn't believe in God;Which is fine. I guess I was really just a little uneasy to her mother's reaction because she slapped her. Then tried to justify her response by saying "What you did was childish-- So you got treated like a child"(Hansberry 52). 
I think I can go as far as to say that's pretty much belittling her opinion, but I know things were different during this time. 

- Something to think about...
Image result for straight face gif

No comments:

Post a Comment